Friday, September 10, 2010

What to do with the prunes in the pantry???



I had a packet of prunes in the pantry about to expire in a few weeks and I am not a 'prune from the packet' kinda person, but I don't like waste. The search continued to find a recipe that would use them up in a delicious dish. I searched books and websites and the old faithful
taste came through AGAIN (love this site).

So here is the recipe for the 'Spiced Prune Buttermilk Loaf'.

Ingredients (serves 8)

  • 3/4 cup (150g) pitted prunes, finely chopped
  • 1 cup buttermilk
  • 125g butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup caster sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 eggs, at room temperature
  • 2 cups self-raising flour
  • pinch salt
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon allspice
  • whipped thickened cream, to serve
  • Crumble topping (this MAKES it)

  • 1/3 cup plain flour
  • 1/3 cup brown sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 50g butter, chopped
Method
  1. Combine prunes and 1/2 cup buttermilk in a bowl. Set aside for 1 hour to soak.

  2. Make crumble topping: Combine flour, brown sugar, cinnamon and butter in a food processor. Process until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.

  3. Preheat oven to 180°C. Line base and sides of a 7cm-deep, 10.5cm x 20.5cm (base) loaf pan with baking paper, allowing a 2cm overhang at both long ends.

  4. Using electric beaters, cream butter, caster sugar and vanilla in a bowl until pale and creamy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.

  5. Sift flour, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and allspice over butter mixture. Using a large metal spoon, fold in flour mixture, remaining 1/2 cup buttermilk and prune mixture, 1 at a time. Spoon into prepared pan. Sprinkle crumble over loaf. Bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Cool loaf in pan for 10 minutes. Lift onto a wire rack to cool completely. Serve with cream.

NOTE:
I decided to make this an hour before I had our life group arrive (ambitious I know), so I couldnt soak the prunes for an hour as it says in step one. Instead I blitzed up the prunes and the buttermilk in the food processor for a minute. When I make this again, I would probably blitz them up even if I had soaked them, I think it makes it smoother.

I also added a generous amount (maybe 1/2 cup of brown sugar to the mix before ppouring into the tin to add a subtle caramel touch.

Enjoy;
Lauren x

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails